Saturday, June 3, 2017

Strawberry Shortcake Kit


It's that time of year.  Whether it's a gift for your child's teacher or simply a unique hostess gift that you need, here's something just about everyone will enjoy.  Combine fresh, sweet strawberries, a can of whipped topping and some homemade shortcakes for a fun, easy gift.
 You could use any container for your berries but I love these rustic berry boxes from Hobby Lobby.
 I added a card with a simple 'recipe'.
 Once everything was inside the basket, these gift bags from the Dollar Store made these look so professional!
 The white, wire baskets are also from the Dollar Store and were the perfect size for everything.  I bought little treat bags to hold the shortcakes and created a little card: "Thanks BERRY much for a great year" -- these are all in my fridge right now waiting to be given to the wonderful teachers who serve under me at our church.
 You could definitely use store-bought shortcakes but I opted to make mine.  They were really quite simple and for me, they make the dessert (along with of course, the WHIPPED CREAM!).  I looked at a lot of different recipes and opted for this one from All Recipes, "Scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake". I made a few changes based on others' comments and they turned out DElicious!

Scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake

Wash and slice 4 c strawberries.  Sprinkle with 1/4 c sugar, stir and let sit for at least an hour.  The longer it sits, the more juice that will be produced to soak into your shortcakes.

Combine: 3 c flour, 1/4c sugar, 3 t baking powder

Cut in 1 cup margarine (Orig. recipe calls for butter)

Add 1 beaten egg and 3/4 c half & half (others used milk and said it was fine too)  Work until dough starts to come together then continue kneading a few minutes on a floured surface.  Pat out to 1/2" thickness and cut in squares or rounds, whichever you prefer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Cool. Slice and top one slice with berries, put 'top' on, add more berries and whipped cream.

I had blackberries so I added those.  You could use ANY fruit and this would make a lovely, summer dessert.  A fun kit to make to give . . . or keep for yourself to enjoy!


On any given week (depending on how busy I am!) I love to participate in Link Parties.  These gals put a lot of time and effort into hosting these parties so I always want to show my appreciation by directing my readers to these blogs. 

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday


 



 

6 comments:

  1. Okay, this is one of the sweetest {no pun intened} thing ever! I just love it, my friend, and what a wonderful gift. Thanks for sharing :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a thoughtful, beautiful gift!! Thank you so much for sharing, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special gift, Lauren! I'd be thrilled if someone gave me that. Also, I didn't know you could buy those berry baskets ar Hobby Lobby. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy gift idea! When I was a kid, I used to be into the Strawberry Shortcake characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what an incredible delicious gift! I'm sure that was a treasure to the teacher who received it! It looks beautiful to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift basket, Lauren. Haven't had strawberry shortcake in such a long time. I like how you added blueberries also. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!